Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Sunset Blvd

(The thing about posting every day is that you have to post every day, whether you've written something or not. So I'm posting the damn thing. I promise I shall make up in quantity what I lack in quality!)

Sunset Boulevard is usually described as film noir, and I guess it is - it is very dark, both literally and figuratively. It has a cynical, doomed narrator, and to describe Norma Desmond as a tragic femme fatale is a dramatic understatement. Still, for me, Sunset Blvd is a horror movie.



The story follows the path of the classic horror film - an innocent (basically innocent) man turns down the wrong driveway, enters what he thinks will be an unoccupied house, only to find out (Too Late!) that it is occupied...by monsters and ghosts.

Norma Desmond (look at this vs this) is monstrous, barely human. Remember when Ash's sister was under the trap door, and she changed back from her zombie voice to her regular voice? "I'm alright now, Ash. You can let me out." That's exactly what Norma is like after her suicide attempt. She seems believable and human, but if you trust her for a second she'll shoot you in the back before you reach the swimming pool.

No comments: