Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Spyglasses

There isn't much about Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy that I can say which hasn't already been said. Although I loved the movie to pieces, there is one thing that I think I love the most about it.
Traditionally, or at least often, spy characters in film are given dark glasses to wear, to make them as inscrutable as possible. Gary Oldman wore glasses while portraying spymaster George Smiley which greatly increased the size of his eyes - and yet due to his fantastic performance he managed to appear even more inscrutable than the Men in Black and their ilk. That's what I find so tremendously impressive about Gary Oldman's performance; well, that along with everything else.

Also, anyone who leaves the theater without Julio Iglesias' version of "La Mer" stuck in their head has not a soul. That song Tinker Tailor Soldier Lingered.

1 comment:

Lydia said...

The glasses really represent one of the great things about this movie. Spy movies/shows are usually full of action and glamor, but the actual life of a spy is surely much more mundane, at least on a day-to-day basis. I love how UNglamorous even the pretty people were in this movie.