I saw Room 237 a few weeks ago, not long after seeing Shane Carruth's new movie Upstream Color. It was not until I saw Upstream Color for the second time (after Room 237) that I thought of Rosemary's Baby when Amy Steinmetz's character cut her hair short. Haircuts are not so uncommon in movies (in fact, I once spent a very long time digging around a website someone had made that was just a catalog of haircuts in movies), so I didn't think too much about the similarity. But then at the end of Upstream Color, there's a scene where Steinmetz cuddles a pig, as if it were her child (which it sort of is).
My point is, a person wouldn't have to be very obsessive or nutty to get...preoccupied with finding evidence of the validity of an offbeat interpretation of a film. It only took me about an hour to find these parallels:
![]() |
| John Cassavettes and Shane Carruth look good in button-downs under pullovers. |
![]() |
![]() |
| beds outdoors |
![]() |
| haircuts |
![]() |
| board games as important props |
Not pictured: long period of fasting followed by eating frenzy, cuddling and lullabying the hideous monster that is sort of her baby.
http://metallicimagery.blogspot.com/2013/04/upstream-color-review.html
http://veryaware.com/
http://www.zontikgames.com






2 comments:
IU Cinema was showing Room 237 a few weeks ago, which I skipped, but I did finally get to see The Shining on a big screen, so there you go. Room 237 is on the to-see list, certainly, but I was hoping its subjects would be a little more obviously bonkers.
I am hesitant about seeing Upstream Color, because I am afraid I will hate it but I really want to love it, or at least to be the sort of person who loves it.
M--I really liked Upstream Color, but that opinion has definitely not been unanimous among people I saw it with/talked to about it.
K--how did I not include the link? It's the Internet Hair Database:
http://haironfilm.net/menu/Filter.aspx
Post a Comment