Wednesday, August 17, 2011

My Son, My Son, What Have You Done?

Curious after my last post I watched My Son, My Son, What Have You Done?, which is streaming on Netflix. By "I watched" I supposes I mean "I am Watching." It's pretty much what you expect--a study of someone with a serious problems, loosely based on reality, and existential at great length. It has some weird acting and some even weirder dialog. I wasn't surprised to find that there was not a lot of time invested in writing the film: "Herzog became convinced that they could make a film and that they could write it quickly. They went to a house in the Austrian countryside: Herzog set a week's deadline and within 4½ days they had their screenplay."
You can really feel the extra half a day's effort--especially in the scenes where Herzog has the actors freeze the scene for a long still shot. Sevigny does a fairly good job of staying still.

There aren't any albino crocodiles, but there is a too-long conversation about ostriches.

I can't guarantee I will finish this.

[photo: I didn't]

2 comments:

Lydia said...

hey, is that sarah palmer?

Kirsten said...

Mares eat oats and does eat oats and little lambs eat ivy, a kid'll eat ivy too, wouldn't you?