Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Ho ho hum.

Today is December 21st, and I am watching Elf. This is the beginning of my Christmas viewing. For me, Christmas is entirely about a few movies and a lot of cookies. Tomorrow I start making cookies.

Elf is an unexpected movie. It's exactly the sort of thing I think I'll hate, but I don't. I like Elf. I like it just fine. It's the first thing I saw a Deschanel in. She's blond, but it's Zooey. It's weird, I can't stand the girl now, but I liked her in Elf. She sings a small enough amount to be tolerable, and she doesn't do much cloying cuteness. Plus, I feel sort of sorry for her in the scene where she is supposed to be eating with chopsticks and she appears never to have seen such a thing before.  In the shot below she does pretty well almost getting a scoop of noodles to her mouth. Good work!

The blond hair is weird, right?

 I'm not sure why I watch Elf. In part I can't bear another viewing of It's a Wonderful Life, and no one is ever showing the movies I think are actually perfect for Christmas, namely Harvey and You Can't Take it With You. Why aren't those Christmas movies? I think they should be.

Lacking those, and lacking a video store, I'm watching Elf, and it's not too bad.

I'll be posting intermittently on the theme of The Christmas Movies I am Watching and the Christmas Movies I Wish I Were Watching. Join in if you wish.

1 comment:

Lydia said...

My quintessential Christmas movies are Singin' in the Rain and 42nd Street. I always want to watch them on or around Christmas. I don't know why they are Christmas movies to me.

Meet Me in St. Louis is a distant third, but that one makes sense, because it has...um...some famous Christmas song in it. I'll Be Home for Christmas? Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas.

Also, Christmas Eve on Sesame Street is mandatory viewing for this time of year.